- I think I've mentioned before that I love Auntie Leila's advice posts. This one is no exception: What Does Nursing the Baby Mean? I love breastfeeding, but even after four children, I've never had anywhere near the challenges that some mothers have. I suspect I would have given up if I'd ever had a bout of mastitis. I do, however, have experience with the "tongue-tied" issue (more than one of our babies was diagnosed with this) and I will say that Philip and I chose not to have our pediatrician intervene and everything turned out fine. We followed our instincts on that one. (Not entirely easy when you're 20 and 24 and holding your first baby in your arms!)
- Tricky People are the New Strangers. This is tough in our time. How do we teach children to respect adults, be aware of dangerous "tricky" people, and still have fun?
- I love stories like this: Arkansas Town Rethinks High School. Their new plan just makes so much sense to me.
- Great one for married Christians to read: Did I Marry the Wrong Person? (Hint: you might be asking the wrong question if you're asking yourself this.)
- Where is God When it Hurts? This one is long but so worth it. Dana and her family have lived through unbelievable tragedy. Their testimony is real, their faith is real. I highly recommend you take the time to listen (or read) what Dana's husband wrote. And then read Dana's posts, too.
- How to Safeguard the Love of Learning by Karen Andreola.
- Some Things are Better Left Unsaid. Wise warning for these "let it all hang out" times.
- How Kids Actually Wash Their Hands. So true.
- These pictures fascinated me for some reason: At Home With the Apollo 11 Astronauts, 1969.
- 50 Years of the Jetsons: Why The Show Still Matters. I loved to watch this when I was a kid. Note to self: be sure the girls see some of these soon.
- 5 Steps to Writing a Book. It may or may not interest you to know that I've been working on my novel(s) again. Guess I need to rent a cabin now.
- Slightly more serious writing post: 7 (Possibly 8) Things Every Writer Needs to Know.
- Mary Ostyn shared some tips for Taking Great Fall Photos of Your Kids.
- And, just in case you're having professional pictures taken this fall: What to Wear for Family Pictures.
- Fall is well and truly upon us. Which means: Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Meg did the leg work and shared her Pumpkin Spice Latte taste tests. The only thing she doesn't mention is some of the fabulous homemade recipes. I made one last year for myself that pretty much ruined all store bought varieties for me. But those Salted Caramel drinks look mighty tempting...
Speaking of Fall treats, these need to be on my "To Make ASAP" list:
Oh, and these too, even though they're not specifically "Fall":
And, just to prove that I don't just pin dessert recipes:
Homemade color catchers? Who knew?
What caught your eye this week?
This post will be linked to Saturday Linky Love at Vanderbilt Wife.