Wednesday, December 12, 2007
WFMW- Make Poetry Part of Your Life
Here are some ways we've included poetry in our lives:
- We read poems every day before nap time. Nap time has evolved into "quiet time" for the oldest girls who do still, on occasion, fall asleep. But anyway, this is the same time pretty much every day and we read poems before they lay down to sleep (or not).
- We are always working on memorizing one poem and one section of scripture. In November the girls memorized 2 poems and Psalm 100. In December they have memorized 2 poems and a section of Luke chapter 2.
- We quote poems or sections of rhymes often. Anything is fair game, even Dr. Seuss books.
- Read poems about the seasons when the seasons change.
- Write out poems and have your children draw and decorate a picture representation of that poem. Be sure to display the best ones on the fridge!
- Check out books (or buy them) with illustrated poems. One of our favorites is "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening". It has gorgeous pictures and we've been known to read it over and over again.
These are some things that have worked for us. How do you include poetry in your life?